"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration." You probably would have heard this sentence billion times before, ever since you were young kids in kindargarten. However, is it really believable for you that "perspiration" would pay off at all? Actually, I used to oppose to this statement because I mean, nothing seemed to work my way in my WHOLE LIFE. My school grades were lower than expectation, and everytime I had some kind of physical education, I would be a subject of mockery by my peers. I still don't agree that hard-working perfectly compensates every people because luck eventually counts in any events. However, after experiencing this event, I changed into thinking that hard-working doesn't end up in vain at all.
So my experience took place last year. Just finishing up the first test since coming to middle school, despair was the first thing that took my mind. My score was much lower than my expectation, and I was flabbergasted by it. Also, it was not only about own dissatisfaction; people were forming a group according to their grades! Really, I didn't know that middle school would be such a cruel place. Anyways, what could I expect from this society? I just fitted into my group of students, and as time passed, I naturally accepted my position in the class.
After about one month later, the test season returned. Everyone started being stressed out, including me. This time, however, I somehow felt that if I did my best, I would be able to do anything. Why? Well, I'm still not sure. Everytime I wanted to give up studying, somehting inside me whispered to me, "You're okay to give up, but you're the one who is solely responsible for the result." This voice kept running around my ears, and because of this voice, I was able to stay up late in the night in order to not regret about the test, when it's already been done. Days flew by, and only a night was left before the test. However, I felt as if I was perfectly ready for the test and had this 'serenity' in my mind. I was really surprised because I'd never had this feeling before in my ENTIRE LIFE. Then, I realized how many nights I spent alone studying for this test. So the test came, and while I was taking the test, the only motto that I had was 'Just do your best.' Can you guess what the results were? I think it would be too obvious, but my average score gained four points. This was the best score that I'd ever gotten, and I definitely didn't regret it! However, the improved score wasn't the only compensation that I got from studying hard. At first, I was only satisfied by my score, bragging about it to people around. But after spending some time, I became aware that while I was studying for this test, I was happy for finally doing my best on 'something' and trying to move deeper about the subject that I was studying. This attitude affected my life much more than one sheet of report card did.
In conclusion, this was my most significant experience in my life. If you still think this society is mean and unfair, so 'perspiration' doesn't work, try hard first, because then you'll see you were completely wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.